Serie A
Lecce’s missing winger Lameck Banda fuels transfer uncertainty
At Lusaka airport on July 23, 25‑year‑old winger Lameck Banda stood beside his suitcase, ready to board a flight back to Italy, only to disappear from US Lecce’s pre‑season agenda. The club later confirmed he missed mandatory performance tests and the Austrian training camp, sparking a two‑week mystery.
Lecce officials have repeatedly tried to reach the player, but neither Banda nor his agents have responded. His unexplained absence from the Austrian camp alarmed the organisation, which noted the silence was unprecedented.
Sporting director Stefano Trinchera addressed the issue on Thursday, calling the lack of communication deeply concerning and unsettling for the club. He added that such silence is unusual for a professional footballer.
Trinchera told reporters, “We have now had no news from Banda for two weeks, nor have his agents. We are all starting to worry that something may have happened that has nothing to do with football.” The quote underscored the club’s growing anxiety.
He also said the club interested in signing him had already moved on to other targets, and remarked, “I am slowly coming around to the idea that there is no strategy behind this matter to get who knows what out of Lecce, but that there may instead be personal problems,” describing the case as “something very unusual.”
After his best season, Banda recorded nine goal contributions in 32 appearances and helped Lecce avoid relegation from Serie A. His performances attracted attention from clubs abroad.
In June, Al Hilal of Saudi Arabia was reported to have expressed interest in signing the winger, a development that adds further uncertainty to his future.